Saturday, April 17, 2010

Heart-breaking letter from Samuel Dupui (Depuy)

Newspaper Extracts, Documents from Colonial History of New Jersey Newspapers, First Series, Vol 4, 1756-1762. Page 576-577
“Extract of a Letter from Lower Smithfield, to a Gentleman in the Jerseys, dated Jan. 22, 1756.
Sir,
— I am left in a deplorable Condition, by the Province I belong to, and for what Reason I know not, and what to do I know not. To leave all to Savage Enemies is very hard, to be left by my own Country, and to be forced to fall their Prey, is still harder. Therefore I am now come to this
Resolution, that if your Province will send me a Number of Men, with sufficient Officers to Guard me, I will give them the Use of my Plantation,
or otherwise, allow them Fifty Pounds a Year during the War, towards bearing the Expences, or if they shall seem meet, let them build a Fort, provided I have the Crop now in the Ground. Sir, the Greatness of my Confusion at the Present unfits me to write; therefore hope my distressed Condition, will be a sufficient Apology for this indirect Letter. The two Capts. Trump and Astin, of this Province, with fifty Men each, had I am informed, strict Orders not to come a-near me, or lend me any Assistance; still at the same Time applied to me for Provisions,
Teams, &c. Upon which I told them they should have no Help from me, as I was obliged to the Jerseys for what Help I had, and therefore thought it my Duty to Help those from whom I receive Help. On that they broke through Orders, and let me have Twenty Men, which I Hourly expect to be taken from me. They are now building a Fort One Mile West of Broadhead’s, from my House, and Four from the Water Gap, and from whence all the Inhabitants are fled. I went with Mr. Scot, and others that were with him, last Monday to the Camp, where we heard the melancholy News of Mr. Bemper, and his Company of Sixteen Men, and a Girl, who were going to drive down his Cattle to the Jerseys, being
attacked by a Party of Indians, who killed them all, except two of Trump’s Men, and a Boy, who made their Escape, one of whom came to the Camp. The next Day Trump, Broadhead, and others, to the Number of Forty, went to bury the Dead, found only Eight of them, of whom Bemper was one; there was Five of them scalp’d, all stript naked and laid a-cross the Road, in three different Places. The same Day my Brother Daniel’s House was beset by a Party of Indians, to the Number of Sixty, who burnt the Barn, killed Two Men, and wounded three
more, and had it not been for Doct. Kennedy, who by Chance called in just before the Attack was made, the whole, with a Number of Women and Children, would have been destroyed. I sent a Dispatch to the Camp, but without Success. I then sent Eleven of my Men along the Hill Side, who fell on their Rear; we found it all bloody, by which we have Reason to believe we ballanced their Accounts, only they carried off the Doctor’s Horse, with all his Drugs, Instruments, &c. They had fir’d the House in three Places, which was put out by the Doctor; But had not the good Capt. Salnave of New Jersey, came to their Assistance, who had one of his Men likewise wounded, they must [have] entirely perished
in the Flame; they burnt the House the next Day” I fear it will be the Fate of us all. I this Day remov’d my Sister, Mrs. Dowl, to my House, who lived 9 Miles Distance. The Gap is why-laid, so that No-body can Pass, but what are shot at; This Evening we espied two Indians within Fifty Rods of my House. I received the several Sums of Money, sent me by Mr. Scott, from the good People of your Province, towards the Relief of the Distress’d, and gratefully return Thanks in their Behalf for the same. For further Particulars of my unhappy Situation. Mr. Scott and Doct. Kennedy can give you Information, they both being Present, and well acquainted with the aboe Relations.
I am, Sir, still relying on your Friendship, and assure yourself that your good Services in this, shall be allways esteem’d as a great Obligation, to
Samuel Dupui.
— The Pennsylvania Journal, Feb. 5, 1756. No.
687.

No comments: